[mtx-rda] Unnumbered pages under RDA

Mark Ehlert ehler043 at umn.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:39:31 CST 2012

So I just ran across a revision--correction, really--in RDA concerning how
unnumbered pages are recorded in the 300 field.  To get an idea on what's
changed, I'm posting below the original text and the revised text.  I'm
excluding some of the examples and using indentation and color as a
substitute for that vertical line down the left side that indicates the
wording covered by the exception.

*Original Text*

*3.4.5.3  Unnumbered Pages, Leaves, or Columns

*
If the resource consists entirely of unnumbered pages, leaves, or columns,
record the number of pages, leaves, or columns using one of the following
methods:

a) Record the exact number of pages, leaves, or columns, if readily
ascertainable.

*EXAMPLE*
 *93 unnumbered pages*

 b) If the number is not readily ascertainable, record an estimated number
of pages, leaves, or columns preceded by *approximately*.

*EXAMPLE*
  *approximately 600 pages*

c) Record *1 volume (unpaged)*.

*3.4.5.3.1  Numbered and Unnumbered Sequences

*
If the resource consists of both numbered and unnumbered sequences of
pages, leaves, or columns, disregard the unnumbered sequences, unless:

a) an unnumbered sequence constitutes a substantial part of the resource
(see also 3.4.5.8)
      *or*
b) an unnumbered sequence includes pages, etc., that are referred to in a
note.

  *Exception
*
*Early printed resources.* For early printed resources, record unnumbered
sequences of pages, leaves, or columns.

 When recording a sequence of unnumbered pages, etc., record:
     *either*
a) the exact number (if the number is readily ascertainable) followed
by *unnumbered
pages*, etc.
      *or*
b) an estimated number preceded by *approximately*
      *or*
c) *unnumbered sequence of pages*, etc.

*Revised Text*

[...]

The earlier version left 3.4.5.3.1 ambiguous, considering 3.4.5.3 doesn't
mention any prescribed use of an *unnumbered* phrase and the example under
a) is just that--an example.  The later version makes (at least) 3.4.5.3.1
clearer.

This correction took place sometime between January and October 2011, but
was never announced as far as I'm aware--which I'm none too happy about.
Judging from how the entire approach to recording groups of unnumbered
pages changes depending on which generation of the text you're looking at,
I believe this should have warranted a more public disclosure.  My training
materials, for instance, were based on the earlier form.  Now that I've
stumbled across this, I'm passing it on you and making the necessary
changes to my webinar slides.  You may want to revise any cheat sheets on
your end.

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota